Sunday, September 4, 2011

Mapping San Francisco Bay via GoogleEarth

Okay this is all new to me.  Google Earth is a whole new to me.  The thing to know is "KML" and "KMZ".  Now, here's the big secret -> A KMZ is only a zipped KML file (there's probably more to it than that but that's it for now).  Unfortunately, I have not found anything (yet) that can convert a navigation file to anything GoogleEarth can understand.

From the GoogleEarth perspective, you have to create paths.  Of course, now these paths are the 2d lines but these lines are where the boat was floating around.

I was fiddling around with a VBScript to put everything in an array to automatically create a kml file but it seemed easier to do it by hand.  See below

It all looks okay. And I remembered I only had 4 more days left on my SMT license... so I went and fixed all the EBCDIC headers on it and loaded it into SMT. It looks like it matches up. :)

Looks like everything's there.  I'd be nice if I could go between the two but oh well.  SMT looks terrible for 2d IMHO.  There's probably a way around it but nothing stuck out in the viewing options.  Is there ANY way to view the seismic apart from the navigation data.  The nav data is great but the seismic (for whatever reason) has to display each shotpoint regardless of where you're viewing.

More later...

No comments:

Post a Comment